I had used WebFeat a bit before, but after exploring it today, I am even more impressed by how valuable it is when searching for info. The federated search sure makes things easier! I put in my "hometown", Bronx, NY and got 1145 results. In my second search I narrowed it down to the Category "Biography, History, Genealogy" and that resulted in a more manageable 111 results. I like the way the results are displayed "Grouped" by the source they are found in, e.g., Biography Resource Center, History Reference Center, etc. This helped me to focus on the aspect I was most interested in. Also, the summary descriptions of the sources (articles, etc.) were wonderful in helping me know if that was going to be a good resource for my search.
One funny thing is that it listed people with the last name "Bronx" (Heritage Quest)... I didn't expect that since I was just thinking of the place name, but it's good to know I can search a last name I really DO want to find!
In my next search for "Bronx" I limited the search to the category "Education". I got some wonderful links to Netlibrary e-books as well as links to World Book Online articles among other sources.
Definitely one-stop shopping!
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment