One thing that caught my attention in the article “Web 2.0: Where will the next generation Web take libraries?” was the contrast drawn between
Web 2.0, described as an open, programmable operating platform where programmers write reusable, constantly updated software components and the “monolithic, proprietary operating systems and programs of the past characterized by long development times and software release cycles.” The element of democratization (the way I see it) is one of the things that Web 2.0 means to me…providing a vehicle for people (all… not just the software, etc. corporations) to create content and to dialog. (Of course, unfortunately due to the digital divide, this surely doesn’t include “all” people, but it’s a start.)
On a personal note, on page 1 of the article when the author listed some Web 2.0 sites, it was very satisfying to know that because of my participation in “23things”, I was familiar with most of them…i.e., Flickr, del.icio.us, YouTube, and LibraryThing!!!
The perspectives
In Anderson’s perspective “Away from the “icebergs,” I found the comments on the “just in case” collection to be very interesting. “It may no longer make sense to “collect” in the traditional sense at all.” Certainly, I see the slimming down of our print reference collections and greater reliance on our online databases… and many patrons are thrilled to learn how to use these databases in the comfort of their own homes.
Another comment of interest was the fact that libraries are insufficiently staffed for teaching and that we need to focus our efforts on “eliminating the barriers that exist between patrons and the information they need.” Anderson makes a clear and forceful point when he says, “But if our services can’t be used without training, then it’s the services that need to be fixed – not our patrons.” So there!!!
Schultz’s perspective, “To a temporary place in time’” was a dizzying trip to the future. I liked what she said about libraries: libraries “are conversations; they are convocations of people, ideas, and artifacts in dynamic exchange.” Nice!
I had a bit of trouble actually visualizing the various library incarnations that she described… hard to grab onto some of the concepts. I liked Library 4.0 in which libraries are “mind gyms, idea labs, art salons”; the “knowledge spa: meditation, relaxation and immersion in a luxury of ideas and thoughts” sounds like a delightful retreat from (as she puts it) “technohustle”… ah yes!
And we come full circle!
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment