Sunday, May 11, 2008

Blog creation accomplished!!!

Well.... I have just created my first blog...whoohoo! I actually seem to have created two blogs after it seemed like the first address was unavailable. I did, however, learn how to delete a blog, so that's another skill under my belt!

I think the 7 1/2 Habits are helpful guideposts for lifelong learning. A habit that is sometimes difficult for me is Habit # 3: View problems as challenges. This is a wonderful attitude and one that I strive to have in everything I encounter in life. I don’t always remember to do this, but when I do, it reframes the negative into something more positive and this is motivating and inspiring for me.

In the explanation of Habit # 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent effective learner,” the presentation said this:“The words you use to describe yourself will soon become a reality. So be careful with your choice of words.”

I love this reminder about what messages we give ourselves and the power of the words we use. A long while ago, I read the book, “Anatomy of an Illness as Perceived by the Patient” by Norman Cousins, and in it he said a similar thing. He advised doctors to be careful of what they tell patients, e.g., “There is nothing we can do; you have “X months” to live, etc.” because they just might be believed. He told of not believing his doctor’s hopeless prognosis and how he found his own path (humor among other things) and survived, proving the doctor wrong. That made a very strong impression on me, and I have never forgotten it and importance of being careful with my choice of words.

No comments: