Thursday, July 3, 2008

Audiobooks and the Digital Collection


The Audiobooks page on the library website contains very helpful resources... the Digital Media Guided Tour videos are extrememly helpful with installing the Overdrive Console, browsing the collection, etc. I looked through the SciFi genre and found a title that I thought was interesting: "The Plot to Save Socrates" by Paul Levinson. I listened to the excerpt and could get a feel for the book; this is a great feature to assist patrons with their material selection.

Here's a bit of the book's synopsis:
Paul Levinson's astonishing new Sf novel is a surprise and a delight: In the year 2042, Sierra, a young graduate student in Classics is shown a new dialog of Socrates, recently discovered, in which a time traveler tries to argue that Socrates might escape death by travel to the future! Thomas, the elderly scholar who has shown her the document, disappears, and Sierra immediately begins to track down the provenance of the manuscript, with the help of her classical scholar boyfriend, Max.
The trail leads her to a time machine in a gentlemen's club in London and in New York, and into the past -- and to a time traveler from her future, posing as Heron of Alexandria in 150 AD. Complications, mysteries, travels, and time loops proliferate as Sierra tries to discern who is planning to save the greatest philosopher in human history, or to do so herself. And she finds that time travel raises more questions than it answers.

I like time travel books, so I think I would like this one.

I installed the Overdrive software at home a while back and have had the experience of downloading titles from the digital collection. Once the Console and Windows Media Player Security Upgrade were downloaded to my computer, it was quite easy to download titles and to put them on my MP3 player so I could listen in the car.

No comments: